Saturday, December 19, 2009

OETS - A Big Surprise!

When I first found out I would be taking a education technology class, my first thought was, "Oh, you have got to be kidding me. Another useless class." I am already working in the school district and know how to use the computers, projectors, smart boards, etc., so I thought I was tech savvy. Besides, school districts all across the country are in a financial bind, how much new technology could really be out there that is affordable to schools or myself? SURPRISE! I basicly knew nothing about Web 2.0 tools or any of the applications that are available to people for FREE. I am SO thankful to have be "forced" to take a ed tech class. I have learned leaps and bounds and have even started using Drop Box, Skype, and Google Docs on a regular basis. I love it!!!!

OETS will begin starting with the 2010-2011 school year. There are six standards to the OETS; 1)creativity and innovation, 2)communication and collaboration, 3)research and information, 4)fluency, critical thinking, problem solving and diecision making, 5)digital citizenship, and 6)technology operations and concepts. I will be covering the six standards in my classroom through a classroom bog for students and parents to showcase work and post announcements, using Skype with a sister classroom to read stories and letters to each other (sort of like a pen pal), and Drop Box to share confidental information with teachers who also teach the students in my classroom (music, PE, media). Using technology in a classroom seems like it would be an added burden, but it truly is an added resource for teachers, students, and parents to learn, share, and become involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment